We can help you manage and reduce your fuel budget
Fuel is one of the main operating costs incurred in running a fleet. We know how important it is to have an effective process to manage and reduce your fleet’s fuel costs.
A fuel card is a convenient and popular method for drivers to purchase their fuel and for fleet operators to manage their fuel costs. It allows management and reporting of fuel spend at a vehicle, driver and fleet level.
Supplying your drivers with a fuel card gives them the convenience of one card for all their fuel purchases. The price billed is the price at the pump and the card is widely accepted.
The management information reported back to you can show data such as vehicle and driver mpg, excessive fuel usage, and potential fuel fraud, helping you proactively manage your fleet’s fuel spend and usage.
The cards enable you to monitor accurately how much you are spending on fuel and where and when your drivers are filling up. Detailed fuel reports can also be obtained to help analyse both an individual vehicle’s fuel economy and consumption and that of the fleet overall.
This information is extremely powerful and can be used to identify high efficiency vehicles, poorly performing vehicles and those employees who are underperforming against expected fuel economy levels. The reports can be made bespoke just for your organisation and are an accurate way of monitoring fuel used in relation to miles driven.
Fuel card invoices are approved by HMRC for tax purposes so there is no need to collect receipts.
Fuel cards can also be used to detect fraud, for example drivers who are apparently filling up with more fuel than they could have used or filling up vehicles that are not part of your fleet.
All the large filling station operators such as Shell and BP run card schemes offering fleet drivers pump price discounts.
Fuel Cost Cutting Advice for Drivers
- Make sure that your company car policy document includes details on which journeys will be reimbursed and which will not.
- Ensure that all your employees know about fuel management and how to ensure the best possible fuel economy.
- Make sure your employees are planning their journeys efficiently. Satnavs and online journey planners can make sure that they are travelling the minimum distance possible.
- Remind your drivers on a regular basis to check and maintain the correct tyre pressures. It will make a noticeable difference to fuel consumption.
- Encourage your drivers to keep weight out of the car, it saves fuel. Check the car boots from time to time, stuff just gets left there.
- Telephone or video conferencing is an efficient time management tool which saves fuel as staff are freed up from the need to spend time travelling in order to attend meetings.
Fuel is a very significant element of the cost of running a company car and needs careful management. It is one of the few fleet cost areas where savings can be almost immediate, and with the cost of fuel predicted to continue to increase, there has never been a better time to focus on fuel.
Contact us for a FREE fuel costs calculator and do your own fuel cost comparison to see where you could make savings.