Driving your lease vehicle abroad this Summer?

lease vehcle driving abroadIf you intend to travel abroad using your lease vehicle you will require a ‘Vehicle On Hire’ (VE103B) certificate which entitles you to drive the vehicle in any EU member state.

All UK motorists travelling abroad in a vehicle must carry the original Vehicle Registration Document (V5). If your vehicle is leased from Fleetdrive we hold the V5 at our head office, meaning that you need a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), which is the recognised alternative to the V5 document. A VE103B contains details of the vehicle taken from the V5, along with the name and address of the hirer and enables the authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission to do so.

The VE103B is the only legal substitute for the registration document (V5). Photocopies of the V5 or letters of authority are not accepted.

You must apply for your VE103B at least 7 working days before you travel.

It is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and will cover you for all your foreign travel within that 12 month period. It also covers you whilst proceeding to, and returning from, the port of embarkation.

The address used for the VE103B must legally be the ‘custodians’ home address and must match the address on your driving licence.


Drivers caught without the correct documentation face long delays which can be time consuming and costly.

The BVRLA highlights examples in Europe of drivers being stuck at border control for four days while the VE103B document is sent through to them.

Every year the BVRLA issues between 120,000 and 150,000 vehicle on hire certificates to its members. However, there are still concerns that many drivers are travelling without this crucial documentation, putting them at risk.

All EU countries require that a foreign driver travelling in a leased or rented company car carries a VE103B document with them.

Follow this link for a useful checklist of the compulsory and recommended equipment required in your vehicle when driving abroad.